By Sandy Naiman
(NC) - Paul Burrill's future looked grim in 2009. His grade nine marks were plummeting. He struggled in Burnaby, B.C.'s public school system. Needing redirection, his parents sent him to Robert Land Academy (RLA) near Welland, Ontario.
This June, Burrill at 17, was valedictorian at his 2012 graduation. Here's how his military-style education changed his life:
• Initially homesick, he made his classmates his family. “Now I consider every boy here a brother.”
• He learned quickly to achieve short-term goals, realizing his capabilities were “more than I was allowing myself to achieve.”
• Burrill's extracurricular activities “weren't exactly ideal, ” but at RLA, rock climbing, boxing, wrestling and jumping out of a plane were activities “that made life really worthwhile.”
• Teachers spent endless hours ensuring students fully comprehend course material, learning time management, productive study skills and university preparation. “They really care about our future.”
• Burrill boosted his averages from 55% to over 80%. He's enrolled in the University of British Columbia's Bachelor of Science degree program, then will pursue wildlife studies.
• Academics are central at RLA, but the school “develops the whole boy,” teaching social deportment, how to always look presentable. “We iron our clothes.”
• Students are prepared for the disciplines of the workforce. Wake-up time is 6 o'clock every morning.
• Respect for the students' superiors is crucial. They're mentored in leadership skills. “I feel confident I'll succeed in any situation in the future.”
• Staff and classmates are there to talk to and willing to listen, all the time.
• “I've achieved more and learned more valuable lessons here than any other education system in Canada could teach me,” Burrill says.
Posted with permision from:
A FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION: Are tuition payments to Robert Land Academy tax deductible?
Find out the answer to this question when Robert Land Academy hosts a free online information webinar August 2nd at 10:30 am (EST) with financial planner and author Peter Merrick. [ REGISTER NOW FOR WEBINAR ]
If your son is under the age of 16 and/or is diagnosed with a disability (ADD, ADHD, ODD, Learning Disabled, or some other disability), you may qualify for tax relief for tuition payments paid to Robert Land Academy under Canada’s:
- Medical Expense Tax Credit
- Disability Tax Credit
- Child Care Expense Deduction, or
- Through the creation of a Health & Welfare Trust (for business owners)
Attend this one hour webinar to find out more.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER: Peter Merrick is a Certified Financial Planner and financial author who has authored two business textbooks and has over 400 published articles to his credit. His articles, writings and interviews have appeared in such magazines and periodicals as The Wall Street Journal, McLeans, The Globe and Mail, and Profit Magazine to name a few. He is also a regular business and financial television commentator on the CTV Network, CBC’s The National, CBC’s News World and BNN. Peter is a graduate of Robert Land Academy (1984) and the President of Merrick Wealth Management [ www.merrickwealth.com ]. He has helped a number of families from Robert Land Academy save thousands of dollars through tuition costs paid.
HOW TO ATTEND: Attend this webinar from anywhere in the world. All you require is a computer with internet access and a speaker. You may also choose to access audio using your telephone once you are logged on to the webinar through the internet.
Once you complete the online registration process you will receive an email with a link and login instructions.
SEPTEMBER 2012 ENROLMENT: Robert Land Academy is presently accepting applications for the 2012 fall enrolment. For further information, call 905-386-6203 or Contact RLA
Robert Land Academy Alumn Spencer Lofranco is appearing in “Jamesy Boy”, a film to be released in 2013. Spencer plays the role of Jamesy Boy, a young gang member who, after being released from prison, turns his life around with the help of an unlikely mentor. The film is directed by Trevor White and also stars Mary-Louise Parker, James Woods and Ving Rhames.
Spencer attended Robert Land Academy from grade 9 until his graduation in 2010. Following graduation, he attended the New York Film Academy's Film Acting Program.
We look forward to seeing Spencer in his upcoming role and wish him a bright future in his acting career. You can read more about Spencer in VIVO Magazine
Robert Land Academy alumn Aaron Cohen continues with his distinguished career by lending his expertise to the Hollywood film industry. In his latest endeavour, Aaron served as a special operations technical advisor for the movie “Haywire”. The film is directed by Steven Soderbergh and stars Michael Douglas, Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum and Gina Carano.
Aaron attended Robert Land Academy from 1991-1993. Following graduation Aaron moved to Israel and joined the Israeli Defence Force (IDF). He served with the IDF's special operations counter-terrorist unit “Duvdevan”.
Aaron later returned to the United States where he formed IMS Security, a consulting firm specializing in providing tactical counter-terrorist training to the US military and state police forces. He also offers protective services to politicians, business executives, Hollywood actors, and rock stars. Aaron is a published author of the bestselling book "Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in one of the World's Most Elite Counter-Terrorist Units", published by Ecco/Harper Collins (2008). He is a regular pundit specializing in on-air expertise including: CNN’s Larry King Live, The Joy Behar Show, The Today Show, FOX News Channel, MSNBC, Access Hollywood, and many others. Aaron lives in Los Angeles, California.